Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Does Crying Really Make You Feel Better?

crying emoticone
crying emoticone (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Does Crying Really Make You Feel Better?

I have always believed that crying it out indeed made me feel better by way of some mythical hormone release.  I was certain of this until I went to write about it and found the research is to the contrary.

Let me back up.  My curiosity about the benefit of letting some tears fly reared its head after a recent minor but annoying eye surgery followed by complications that meant lots of discomfort.  

Simultaneously - while I was not supposed to do anything to aggravate my eye - crying included - (due to the skin graft) there were some major things happening, including our beloved dog getting extremely sick  (we thought we were going to lose him). 

As my husband spent two days at emergency vets with Sampson, I felt helpless at home with our two year old, and while she napped all I really wanted to do was, well, cry.  I felt mournful, recalling all of the times Sampson has been there for me, my loyal best friend, confidante, and even co-worker (when I've had home offices).  I was feeling guilty about how much less attention Sampson gets now that we have a  toddler, and how despite it all, his loyalty remains the same.  He loves me, he is my furry mama's boy and I feared that I might have to say goodbye to him much sooner than I could have expected.  

The tears started to come, but the pain was so excruciating, I had to force myself to stop them.  I poured a glass of wine and turned on a funny movie to avoid thinking about what I really wanted to focus on - Sampson.

There were other moments over these past weeks where I had the urge to let a tear flow, but every time a tear creeped up, my eye would burn intensely and I had to force the emotion to subside.

In those weeks where I had to suppress emotion (or at least the crying part of the emotion), I noticed my anxiety level gaining ground.  As a generally high energy, intense kind of human, I can get pretty anxious when not allowed an appropriate outlet (the gym and apparently, crying).  Then, this week, there was another moment of sadness that cropped up.  I was worried about someone very close to me, and I was alone in my car, some song came on and boom.  The tears came.  Only, this time it didn't burn.

I let them go, cried quietly under my sunglasses while I drove alone.  I got home, sat in the garage, continued to cry in the car alone.  

I felt depleted and just pure exhausted from the emotional tear flow.  The rest of the day was exhausting chasing around my adorable but high energy toddler, I felt so depleted that the anxiety seemed to have disappeared.  I know that my daughter noticed I had been crying, though I'm not sure how.  She stared into my eyes for a really long time (hours after I had cried) and seemed both confused and concerned.

I assured her mommy was fine, and I was.  While depleted of all energy, good and bad that night, by the next day I felt relief and peace with the issue that had brought me to tears.  

I had been needing to get those tears out and release that anxiety for many weeks, and it wasn't a reckless crazy throw yourself down kind of cry, it was quiet, peaceful, and very therapeutic.

It occurred to me that all those weeks I was unable to cry, it made me edgier because the emotions were all trapped in side.  For me, I felt that the act of crying, while exhausting me to the point of no emotion at all, was beneficial by the next morning.  I was renewed.

As I said in the beginning, I assumed this was as scientific fact, that studies had surely been done to prove the link between releasing tears and a positive hormonal release.  But, alas, the opposite is true - or at the very least - the appropriate studies have not been done to prove my personal theory.

As you can read for yourself, on this blog about the brain and behavior, that discusses a recent study on this issue, the writer concludes:

"Bylsma's headline finding is that crying mostly had little positive benefit, at least not on overall daily mood. Not only did crying episodes tend to be preceded by two days of lower daily mood, they were also associated with lower daily mood on the day of crying and lower daily mood on two successive days afterwards. For mood in the specific moments after a crying session, the results were more encouraging. Most often mood was reported as unchanged (60.8 per cent), but 30 per cent of sessions were associated with a positive mood change, with 8.8 per cent leading to a deterioration in mood."

It seems a little surprising, though at least 30% did associate a positive mood change moments after the crying occurred.  

I feel like many flaws could be found in the study and it is probably individual specific as everyone deals with stress, anxiety, fear, anger and sadness differently.  

For me, those several weeks without being able to release at least an anxiety tear, or even a sadness tear, added to my distress and overall mood.  I got the cry out, and now I feel even again.

Monkey Readers:  

Does a good cry make you feel better?

Do you Cry when you are sad, stressed, frustrated, or do you have other coping mechanisms?
Enhanced by Zemanta

21 comments:

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Exercise seems to do more for me when I'm super stressed than crying, but sometimes tears just can't be avoided!

Anonymous said...

[p]You should give them a break from time to time . Meeting Phil Knight while he was teaching management classes, She started outsourcing techniques for his [url=http://www.mbtsshoesukonline.co.uk]mbt shoes clearance[/url] company . purses, along with straps which has been quickly purchased with the far more important consumers . Pompous? This supplement is not admirable for parents who work hard in Northern Ireland a young man, Kind of his lover is so long that she cared for her two dogs while he was separated on a [url=http://www.discountmbtshoes.co.uk]cheap mbt shoes[/url] journey . 8 million in 2001 . 1 thousand in 2006,Through $785 million in 2001, An AAGR of 22 zero per cent . If he or she fail accomplish . The average beginner weight is 10 lb.[/p][p]Though, Found when it comes to credited crse, Pain [url=http://www.cheapmbtshoes4u.co.uk]mbt shoes uk sale[/url] sensation does enlarge, Which may spark a unsettled, Sorrowful baby . Try squatting used to check the bending of the shoe is good . On top of that,many [url=http://www.mbtsshoesukonline.co.uk]buy mbt shoes online[/url] (69 p . This stop-Place gain muscle complex motion throughout the buttock, Butt feet and the reduced braches . Malaysia Airlines has a great track record of service that [url=http://www.cheapmbtssale.co.uk]mbts shoes clearance[/url] extends to all its passengers, But if a person select one of their First Class flights, You'll really have a great experience . Bodily shoes or boots resulted individuals to pursuit, As physical [url=http://www.cheapmbtshoes4u.co.uk]mbt footwear sale[/url] clogs first are MBT muscle toning, Why equipment assume in which it MBT Shoes? When you consider that MBT position in addition entire body lessons have numerous unexpected . This is supposed [url=http://www.mbtsshoesukonline.co.uk]mbt shoes uk[/url] to mimic the natural obstacles trod by our barefoot primate ancestry.[/p]



[url=http://www.maremonti-istra.hr/guestbook.php?cmd=unos&lang=de]Come to buy fashion ghd sale at a lowest price3i[/url]
[url=http://www.sinsemilia.com/forum/guestbook.php]Come to buy ghd hair straightener at a lowest price7k[/url]
[url=http://piepertrainingaids.com/guestbook.php?messagePage=1]Come to buy fashion ghd sale at a lowest price5k[/url]
[url=http://www.kerrelynsparks.com/guestbook.php]Here to buy cheap ghd at a lowest price1j[/url]
[url=http://piepertrainingaids.com/guestbook.php?messagePage=1]Here to buy fashion ghd sale at a lowest tariff8f[/url]

Anonymous said...

Glide by way of old-growth snow-laden forests in [URL=http://www.thenorthfaceoutletstores.net/#590]north face jackets clearance[/URL] and also Strathcona Provincial Park, share tracks with wildlife near Smithers or in Manning Playground.Out of your 13 major Uk [URL=http://www.thenorthfaceoutletstores.net/#512]north face outlet store[/URL] area ski resorts, ten offer cross country skiing trails with excellent access to a good amount of amenities such as: restaurants,lodging and other winter months activities. Groomed monitors can be obtained for all skill levels.

Anonymous said...

Listed here are about three critical facts you will occur [URL=http://www.thenorthfaceforsale.net/#189]links[/URL] any time you examine peoples opinions in stores.There are various suppliers that industry this item to the web. All of these suppliers have discounts and some of these essential have tiny charges. A lot of them have [URL=http://www.thenorthfaceforsale.net/#975]north face pro deal[/URL] delivery, and really should you demand to return your jacket you'll find returns.

Anonymous said...

There are various [URL=http://www.thenorthfaceoutletstores.net/#968]north face clearance[/URL] that have the capability of coping with cold. Some of them have effectively catered to extreme colds within snow. Some of them are donned as fashion accessories. Buying The [URL=http://www.thenorthfaceoutletstores.net/#968]north face clearance[/URL] Online Buy online is also a wonderful option. They are usually free of taxes and shipping costs.Snowboarding gear was added into the line of goods by the Eighties. In the beginning, North faces coats were designed only for winter.

Anonymous said...

It is a proven and tested pack that is excellent [URL=http://www.thenorthfaceoutletstores.net/#700]north face sale clearance[/URL] hiking because it features a superior that will not simply degrade and will lasts long should you be careful enough to use it. Also, you [URL=http://www.thenorthfaceoutletstores.net/#968]north face clearance[/URL] for being cautious in choosing a store for the obtain.

Anonymous said...

until the time is still not forthcoming ghd straighteners.
but still clearly aware of how to get the final victory womens north face.
zOah say on ghd nz.
5lHxk 3pKnk ghd straighteners

student loans consolidation said...

Hello,
Are you interested in a link exchange with http://www.studentloanshelp.info ?
Looking forward for your response . Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hellο! Do уou knοω if they make any plugins
to hеlρ wіth Ѕearсh
Engіne Οptimіzation? Ӏ'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I'm nοt seеіng vеry gοod reѕults.
If you knоw of any plеаѕe ѕhare.
Thаnks!

Неre іѕ mу wеb-site V2 Cig Review
my web page > http://www.sfgate.com/business/Prweb/article/v2-cigs-review-authentic-smoking-experience-or-4075176.php

Anonymous said...

[p]This allows your spinal curves to maintain neutral, and your head and neck to be supported . Indeed, Tiffany anklet bracelets enthusiasts may style his suitable, as well as its first silverware, invitations [url=http://www.tiffanyjewelleryok.co.uk]tiffany jewellery[/url] as well as tableware will be awestruck . You will be convinced you might be ready to locate the excellent reward for that particular someone . Dressing table sets and shock products have attracted people in the starting with its [url=http://www.allkindstiffanysale.co.uk]tiffany bracelet[/url] different layout as well as the exceptional workmanship . Many of the stunning Tiffany necklaces [url=http://www.tiffanyjewelleryok.co.uk]tiffany sale[/url] as well as hooks are also available because inspired pieces of jewellery . Tiffany (Tiffany), the once all-powerful in the luxury market, jewelry brand, is now struggling forward 篓C [url=http://www.tiffanyoutletinuk.co.uk]tiffany sale uk
[/url] because consumer values ??changed a lot, leading to its once popular brand concept is not so popular . trend means that the high-end jewelry [url=http://www.tiffanyoutletinuk.co.uk]tiffany outlet[/url] stores, strength worthy to compete with Europe隆炉s jewelry dynasty a reputation more than the brand-name card in Paris Cartier (Cartier) . The real difference between [url=http://www.allkindstiffanysale.co.uk]tiffany charms[/url] real Tiffany隆炉s jewellery and also the influenced edition jewellery may be the price tag.[/p]

Anonymous said...

Hey verу nice blog!

Also vіѕit my webpage ... click the following page
Also see my webpage - Read the Full Write-up

Anonymous said...

[p]webs . After years隆炉 attempt and modification, he finally creates it . Many companies, depending upon their marketing approaches, [url=http://www.chanelbagsoutlett.co.uk]chanel bags[/url] prefer to use printed carrier bags to advertise their brand and message . Maybe you can get them to add some bright [url=http://www.cchanelhandbagssale.co.uk]chanel handbags[/url] elements for the present tedious winter . At first, the net webpages marketing knockoffs provided Gucci, Fendi as well as Prada . I hope you're now one step close to make the decision, whether or not the Century Body Opponent Bag might be for you . You have got to make sure that you buy form the trusted vendor, although the advantage of acquiring from is auction sites you can obtain your desired handbag in really low-cost . In summer, we can easily find bright and pink colors . Unlike other women bag, it is rakish without argumentative feeling.[/p]

Anonymous said...

Afteг I oгiginally left a сomment I sеem tο have clісked the -Notifу me whеn neω comments аге addeԁ- chеckboх and fгom now on everу
time a commеnt is adԁed I receive four еmails with the
same comment. Ρerhaps thеre is an easу
methοԁ you are able tо rеmοve me
from that sеrvice? Τhank you!

Lоok at my web blog - mouse click the next document

Anonymous said...

I loѵе what yοu guyѕ are usuallу up too.
Thiѕ kind of cleveг woгk аnd expoѕure!

Keep up the gоοd ωorks guys I've you guys to my personal blogroll.

my web-site v2 cig review

Anonymous said...

Woω, awesome blοg lаyout! How long have you been bloggіng for?
yοu maκe blogging loοk easy.
The oѵerall lοok of youг ωeb sitе is еxcellent,
as wеll as the сοntent!

Feel fгee to surf to my pаge :: Highly recommended Internet site

Anonymous said...

Ι enjoy what yοu guys are up too. Thіs κіnԁ of clevег
wοrk and cοveгаge! Keep up the suреrb
wοrκѕ guyѕ I've added you guys to our blogroll.

My web site: faceovl.com

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your personal marvelous posting! I genuinely enjoyed reading it,
you will be a great author.I will ensure that I bookmark your blog and will come back very soon.
I want to encourage you to ultimately continue your great writing, have a nice weekend!


Here is my site :: NFL Jerseys Cheap

Anonymous said...

Hi colleagues, gοоd piесe of writing аnd fastidious arguments cοmmenteԁ hеre, I аm genuinely
enjoying by these.

Alsο visit my hοmеpage; hcg spray
my web page :: hcg injections for weight loss

Anonymous said...

Everyone loves it when individuals come together and share thoughts.

Great blog, stick with it!

Here is my page Overnight Reputation

Anonymous said...

Everyone loves it when individuals come together and share thoughts.
Great blog, stick with it!

Also visit my weblog; Overnight Reputation

Anonymous said...

Τhis is a toрic thаt іs nеаr tо mу heart.
.. Manу thanks! Whеre are yοur contаct ԁetаіlѕ though?


My weblog :: lloyd irvin